Old 21-04-2007, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Any such thing as male and female tree?

Jimmy S. wrote:
I was told by my local nursery folk when I tried to purchase an asian pear
tree.
He said that I should plant at least two's that way they can
cross-pollinate
one another, and hopefully one is male and the other is female !

I was aware of cross-pollination business, but I really got lost when
he mentioned about male/female plant!! I would like you experts
in this forum to comment on the subject --- he seemed to know what
he was taking about. If he was right -which I doubt it, how do I correctly
pick the right sex?

Thanks in advance

JIMMY

Besides Ginkgo and some hollies (Ilex), ash trees (Fraxinus) and
Asparagus have the sexes separated.

I strongly recommend planting only male ash trees. 32 years ago, I
didn't realize how important that is. Now, the most common weed in my
garden is the seedlings of the ash tree I planted long ago.

For eating, some prefer female Asparagus officinalis. The ornamental A.
densiflorus 'Sprengeri' has attractive berries (as does A. officinalis).
However, those berries quickly become new plants, possibly another weed.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean