Old 21-04-2007, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Tilling the yard advice please

dgk said:

[...]

Ok, I'm convinced. I hold off on tilling. One other thing I should
have mentioned is that there is no way to get anything into the
backyard without going through the house, so sod is going to be
awkward. But, I never heard of a sod cutter before and it certainly
makes sense that tilling clay can be messy.

A sod cutter resembles a heavy mower, or tiller. It has a blade that sits
parallel to the ground, and the depth of its cut is adjustable. As the
cutter propels itself along, the blade moves side to side, as well as
front/back, in order to cut a long strip of sod, leaving behind a fairly
smooth (barring any rocks) surface.

You then cut the long strip into smaller ones, making them easier to
handle. Just roll them up and carry them off. The new sod comes in small
rolls, that you just unroll in place and snug up against the previously
laid one.

Instead of heading off to rent a tiller, I'll look around at sod
cutters and the availability of sod. I suppose they put roundup all
over the sod but at least I won't know about it. Maybe.

Nope, no need to spray anything. Just cut it up and haul it away. =)

Thanks for the advice. I'll head over to the local Garden World for a
start.

Good luck, man. Like I said, I'm not sure who'd have one, but someone will.
=)

--

Eggs

Most books now say our sun is a star. But it still knows how to change back
into a sun in the daytime.