Old 21-04-2007, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_3_] Robert[_3_] is offline

Default Badger damage to lawn

In message , Sacha
writes
On 21/4/07 13:12, in article
.com, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 21 Apr, 11:07, Robert wrote:
In message m, Peter
James writes

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:05:43 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote
(in article ):

My mother has a very neat and tidy garden of which she is justifiably
proud (she is 87 and suffers quite badly from arthritis). But from
time to time, especially in dry weather it seems, her lawn gets dug up
by what she says are badgers. It's either badgers or foxes. Whichever,
during the night her lawn gets covered in small holes, like golfer's
divots, where some animal has presumably been digging for worms. The

snip
Another problems wit Badgers can be their love of fresh Veg.
Last year they cleared a 20 ft row of carrots in 2 nights after I had
pulled the first bunch for us, also they have completly cleared my
patch of Jerusalem Artichokes (Don't let anyone tell you that once you
have them they are there for life). Also cleared sweetcorn in one
night just before it was ready to pick.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

I don't think this sounds like badgers, though. I'm x-ing my fingers when I
say this but we've never had badgers in this garden but from what I
understand, there is no mistaking a visit from them. Everything I've read
seems to speak of utter havoc not 'small holes'!

I think that perhaps the OP needs to indicate more about the size and
shape of the holes before coming to a conclusion as to what is creating
them.

There is no doubt that badgers can produce 'utter havoc' - I have seen a
farm track quite dramatically undermined by the creation of a new sett
and I know people who have lived in harmony with visiting badgers for
years who have suddenly experienced considerable damage to lawns.

It does not, however, follow that the presence of badgers in a garden
necessarily results in noticeable damage let alone major problems. It
never ceases to amaze me how many people are not aware that badgers pass
through their gardens on a nightly basis.

--
Robert