Old 21-04-2007, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Badger damage to lawn

On 21/4/07 15:31, in article , "Robert"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

snip

I don't think this sounds like badgers, though. I'm x-ing my fingers when I
say this but we've never had badgers in this garden but from what I
understand, there is no mistaking a visit from them. Everything I've read
seems to speak of utter havoc not 'small holes'!

I think that perhaps the OP needs to indicate more about the size and
shape of the holes before coming to a conclusion as to what is creating
them.

There is no doubt that badgers can produce 'utter havoc' - I have seen a
farm track quite dramatically undermined by the creation of a new sett
and I know people who have lived in harmony with visiting badgers for
years who have suddenly experienced considerable damage to lawns.

It does not, however, follow that the presence of badgers in a garden
necessarily results in noticeable damage let alone major problems. It
never ceases to amaze me how many people are not aware that badgers pass
through their gardens on a nightly basis.

I should have put my post more clearly - we get them passing through the
garden but not digging in them - more x-ed fingers! But we know they've
been around if only because the dogs find the evidence and roll in it - same
with foxes. Yuk! And we often see big holes in the base of hedges where
badgers have pushed their way through and onto a lane.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk