Old 21-04-2007, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Weeding!

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 22:25:31 +0200, "Norman Digger"
wrote:

Does anyone have strategies for minimising this arduous task in a veg plot?
I've spent half the afternoon bent double pulling up weeds and grass from
between my spring greens and my back is killing me!

Can you kneel down, on a mat? It minimises back ache.

How do others cope with weeds?
I own every type of hoe available to mankind and personally find the Dutch
hoe best provided the weeds are small.

Do you have a Kirpi? I use that more than anything for weeding.
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalo...roducts_id=477
I have 2 and have given some as presents. All agree it is better than
anything for hand-weeding.

Why do weeds grow ten times faster than vegetables?

That's partly what makes them weeds!

I am making a point, this year of picking off every dandelion flower I
see, to prevent seeding. When I have time the flower leads me to the
plant to dig it up, or give a quick squirt of glyphosate.

Pam in Bristol