Old 21-04-2007, 08:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default fish lice..

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 09:47:32 CST, burky
wrote:

I have 10 koi in a 2000 gallon pond. Water source is from a well, no
chlorine. The pond water I pump partially out at least once a month.
I have a skimmer with a approx. 3000 gph with bio fall & 2- 2inch
filter pads & lava rock. My pond is rubber lined with river rock on
bottom.. I live in zone 5 in Illinios that had a warm spell early for
about a 2 week period then turrned below freezeing fo couple weeks.
Now its finally warmig up again. I use micro-lift pl bateria in pond
once week & also lymnozyme. Once in a while I put in algae
control,green clean algaecide. I feed them twice a day morning & night
only what they clean up good. I do feed medicated food early in year
when water temp is at least 55 degrees for a week or so which is made
by debride.I have not ever tested fo ammonia or nitrate. ~ Paul

Unfortunately that doesn't tell me much. Whereas the water tests would tell
me a lot more. I'm assuming if you've never tested for ammonia or nitrate,
you've never tested for nitrite, pH or KH either?

From a KHA (Koi Health Advisor) stand point, we'd recommend removing the

rocks, and stop using algaecide, and do 10% water changes weekly. Since it
is a well with no chlorine, some might even suggest a very slow flow thru
system, but I'd want to see what the (water quality) numbers are from your
well water before suggesting that. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us