Old 22-04-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dwayne Dwayne is offline

Default Pineapple Propagation?

We were told by a pineapple grower in Hawaii that a trick they use is to
water the plant well, cover it completely with a plastic bag, and put an
apple in with the plant. Something about the gas formed by the ripening
apple, causes it to so what is was supposed to.

Dwayne

"J." wrote in message
Two years ago my dad, a retiree in a warm continental US climate, for a
lark rooted the cutoff top of a supermarket pineapple. With care it has
turned into a smallish shrub that now, wonder of wonders, has what appears
to be a few tiny fruiting buds on it. Knowing nothing of pineapple
horticulture he hasn't done too bad in the sandy soil at the edge of a
golf course. But with continued reasonable care can he expect these fruits
to mature into something edible, or are edible pineapples propagated by
other means? Does this plant require a pollinator or is it self fruiting?
He's having fun regardless, but a real fruit would be the ultimate
compliment for his efforts.

J.