Old 22-04-2007, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.pets.rabbits
James James is offline

Default Maggots

Worked my rabbit manure mine today. My free range buns poop
everywhere so it would be impossible to collect their poop without a
plan. My setup includes a 2'X3' cage with plastic bottom. I put
rabbit pellets in there daily and my buns deposit their pellets when
they eat. It took all winter but there was 3" worth of poop.

While scooping the little balls of poop into buckets I saw half dozen
white worms which I think might be maggots. It was one here and
another there and so on. There are flies now after the past few warm
days.

The poop didn't have any smell till I got pass the top layer. The top
was dried but the bottom was urine soaked and a bit stinky. The
bottom pellets was also white. Don't know if it's fungi or if it's
calcium. I didn't inspect them close up as I wasn't that curious.
Filled 3 five gallon buckets.

Hope this poop is as good as chicken shit. Last year I had some
pretty big bitter melons grown on a hill of 2 year old chicken poop.