Old 22-04-2007, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Post and rail

On 22/4/07 00:07, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

Not being a madly expert DIYer can anyone tell me the best way to put in
post and rail fencing so I can train clematis and possibly Chaenemole
along the length. It has to be in two 6 foot lengths or thereabouts with
a gap in the middle so I can access the path from the lawn.

I know how to put in 4x4 stuff using metposts but there aren't any round
alternatives to metposts.

Do I dig a hole first and then shove the post in or backfill with bits
of stone etc like the post for the washing line? Posts will be about 6
foot above the ground, so how much needs to be below?

Our post 'n rope set up has round (chamfered) posts about 8' above the
ground and 2' below and they're cemented in. You need a spirit level to
ensure you get them absolutely straight. I think Matthew backfilled with
stone, as you say and then poured the cement over that. If I can get more
or different detail from him later, I will. I'll also take a photo and
email it to you.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk