Old 22-04-2007, 08:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Orange Tree from a Seed?

In message . net, JimR
writes

[snip]

Citrus seeds are odd. They are often polyembryonic, i.e. contain more than
one plant embryo, and all but one (or all) of the embryos are formed by
(IIRC) somatic embryogenesis, and are clones of the parent. So with an
orange seed you're more likely to get a plant like its parent than with
most other fruit trees.
--

But -- the parent tree is the rootstock, not the grafted section from which
the fruit came. So what will probably happen is that you'll get a wild sour

In this context the parent tree is the scion, not the stock.

In my case, several new trees sprouted in the grove, from seeds left behind
by birds or from fruit that dropped that I didn't immediately clean up. Now
that these new trees are well established, I'm grafting cuttings from some
of my other citrus to see if I can't create a new grapefruit, mandarin
orange, or pomelo tree. I'll let you know in five years or so how they came
out. -- Regards --

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley