Old 22-04-2007, 08:32 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Chosing potatoes to plant

"Staycalm" writes:
I've been thinking of trying to grow potatoes. I hear they are pretty easy.
What type of potato is good for baking? I've been thinking I might try one
of the small gourmet types. Any recommendations?

I'm in Melbourne. When is planting time?

I'll be a bit contrary here. When you grow your own spuds they end up
being so soft and tender that they'd fall apart when roasted. But maybe
you intend sitting them whole directly on the oven rack and baking them
in their jackets until cooked through? If so, that would be perfect.
I daresay that any variety will do. Whatever you can get your hands on,
they'll all turn out just fine. Home grown spuds have a zesty flavour
altogether different from the bland taste of store bought ones you're
accustomed to.

Home grown spuds are best dug as soon as they reach usable size, before
disease can take hold (after all, we all water them too much don't we
and this just invites rot). By harvesting them young, the tubers are
very tasty and tender and they start to fall apart when boiled making
them ideal for mashing.