Old 22-04-2007, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default Broomrape/More garden pictures

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 21, 10:52 am, "Muddymike" wrote:

Further to the Ivy Broomrape, I have discovered a virtual forest of the
stuff, see first picture athttp://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Must mow the lawns.

Mike

Mike, your garden is beautiful and it's obviously been a labour of
love for you. Was there any structure to gthe garden when you first
bought the house?

Your soil doesn't look as if it is clay, I am just down the road from
you and we are entirely on clay. Was yours clay to begin with and
what did you do to refine it?

Judith

The house is built on an early version of the modern garden plot
developments. Many years ago the garden was part of the grounds of
Thornborough Hall and was very grand at one time. In the 1930s a local
family bought part of the hall grounds and built this house. They employed a
full time gardener and developed the garden quite a lot. Then 30 years ago
the house was bought by the Hospitaler association and used as a care home
for physically and mentally handicapped adults, they passed it on to the
local housing association who closed it down in 2004. Sadly during the
housing association ownership many features of the original gardens were
destroyed in laying motorway style wheelchair paths as in
http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10145?sort=5
and they only maintained areas accessed by these paths. We are now
resurrecting what we can of the original garden and adding our own features.

I think you must have missed an earlier reply of mine when you first asked
about my Mattishall email address. Yes I used to live in Mattishall but 2
1/2 years ago moved here to Leyburn, N Yorks.

Mike