Old 22-04-2007, 06:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
bungadora bungadora is offline

Default How cold can 3" plants stand outside?

On Apr 22, 9:17 am, Nanzi wrote:

Dora I think you are right about the hardening off, although I've not
had a problem with it in the past. I've lost part of the lavender, and
a few 'maters, but I had so many planted I'll still have enough
tomatoes for half the county. Those lavenders are tender little
things. I hope I can keep a few of em alive.
Nanzi- Hide quoted text -

Good luck. I finally came to the realization this year that I don't
start plants off from seed every year to save money. After all I lose
half of them and then usually have to buy supplements from the
greenhouse.

Hopefully my seedlings will make it. I'm beginning to have doubts
about the Cherokee purples (tomatoes). They are suffering from some
kind of fungal disease - maybe damp off, but they're about 6 inches
tall so it takes longer. Their lower leaves start wilting and dying
and next thing I know the entire plant is compost. The cherry
tomatoes are unaffected but then they're already twice the size. I've
put some of that anti-damp stuff in the water, and plan to get them
outside this week - it will be warm enough during the day and the air
circulation will do them good.

Dora