Old 22-04-2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] Alex@home.net is offline

Default What to do with the quince

| Any fruit? Makes a great jelly in combo with other fruits and
alone.

|Not to speak of, just a few here and there. I'm almost positive
there won't
|be any this year what with the late freeze.

We have a flowering quince but it produces only the occasional lonely
"apple". It's a spreading & runnering thug but has lovely salmon-pink
flowers. I think I've seen dark red ones too.

Our neighbour had a quince that was more like a shrubby tree with many
upright stems. Don't remember the flower colour. It produced copiously
but she didn't want the fruit. We got some and it made great jelly.
Sadly she uprooted the thing & burned it without offering us a
cutting.

I'm thinking the garden-centre"flowering quince" (what we have) are
maybe a variety that's bred for ornament rather than fruit?

Alexander Miller.