Old 22-04-2007, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
len garden len garden is offline

Default Pineapple Propagation?

g'day "J"

growing pineapples almost comes under the stick it in the ground and
froget it syndrome, we do it in all gardens we have always room for at
least one plant.

yep they take from 18 moths to 3 years to fruit for us farmers manage
to get them a bit quicker, but then they stress the tops before
planting by leaving the tops in the full sun for 2 to 4 weeks until
the tops are nearly all gone yellow. also the tops could be held at
the cannery for some time as well?

they like it well drained so don't over water, once established never
see farmers irrigating past about the first 2 weeks in the ground if
needed.

but anyway the fruit never seems to get to full size like the one you
ate, some gardenrs do get big fruit but not many, but at the end of
the day the plant hasn't taken a lot of space or care and the fruit
though small is generally always very sweet.

taking the pups that shoot from the mother plant may give fruit faster
as it is a growing thing as i see it. farmers leave the side growths
and pick a second harvest before turning the plants in and then
replanting.

we never take any fruit with the tops when we remove them from the
pineapple we simply twist the top off and after about a month in the
full sun we peal off the bottom 2 or 3 layers of smaller leaves this
exposes the root buds, then just stick it in the garden and let it go.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:06:01 -0400, "J."
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev