Old 22-04-2007, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Broomrape/More garden pictures

"Muddymike" wrote in message

"Chris Potts" wrote in message
Muddymike wrote:
Inspired by the wonderful comments on my garden pictures I have uploaded
a few more. Some showing the overgrown mess we took on two and a half
years ago.

Further to the Ivy Broomrape, I have discovered a virtual forest of the
stuff, see first picture at
http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Must mow the lawns.

Mike

Hello Mike

I don't think it is Ivy Broomrape! It is Common Toothwort (Lathraea
squamaria). Ivy Broomrape is taller with a much more open spike; it
flowers in late June/July. There is a good picture of Toothwort at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toothwort. It flowers in April, so just
right.

All the best,

Chris Potts

Thanks Chris

Looking at the picture I think you are right. Toothwart, Broomrape what

Wort seems to be some generic name for herb or maybe medicinal plant or
maybe just plant. Toothwort was conceivably thought of as something to help
yer teeth. Broomrape, I think, just meant molesting broom.

names will they think up next?

Keep on digging.

Mike