Old 23-04-2007, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman cineman is offline

Default Lily Beetle

"Sue" wrote in message

"cineman" wrote
Correction, been watering pots of lilies tonight, found 2 in what can
only be described as close embrace.
Sprayed with provado ultimate bug killer and injured the pesks. This
is very early for West Midlands.

Over the last couple of days I've found several on my emerging lilies,
with lines of orange coloured eggs laid underneath some of the leaves. It
does seem earlier than I've ever seen them before.

My method of execution is to hold a pot saucer underneath the plants,
knock the beasties into it and then squish 'em with a stone.

--
Sue

Last year I tried knocking them off to the floor, but found they drop and
disappear or fly off, quicker than I am.
As there appears to be only 1 known predator a type of wasp, which I believe
is not active this early in the year, and having about 20 to 25 pots full of
lilies, I reluctantly use a systemic pesticide.
The plant I found them on has buds emerging in the top of stems, and its
only April ?
regards
Cineman