Old 23-04-2007, 04:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
[email protected] nobody@junk.min.net is offline

Default Turtles in water

In .com, on 04/19/07
at 11:12 AM, kthirtya said:

I've kept turtles before.
I always tried to think about what they ate
in the wild and took it from there.

Young turtles need more protein, to grow
their shells. Older turtles need more vegetable
matter.

We have an island in our pond. I tossed extra
treats onto the island where the turtles could get
it and not the fish. Stuff like ~
land snails
worms
organic lettuce
watercress
and turtle chow when I had it. I figured there were
some goodies in there they could use but I didn't go
out of my way to make sure I always had it.
I've heard that they like fruit also.

Many, if not most (or all), species of water turtle can only eat in water.
That was true of my missing painted turtle (which I still think was
stolen.)

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21