Old 23-04-2007, 12:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
[email protected] kaskiles@yahoo.com is offline

Default Eastern Tennessee late freeze, damaged shrubs

Hi,

We had a late freeze in eastern TN (smoky mountains), in the mid/high
20's F that happened a couple weeks ago (about the end of the Dogwood
bloom near me). The freeze really bit some of the ornamental trees
and shrubs I've planted over the last 2 years. In particular, these
have dropped their small budding leaves: Golden Rain trees, Althea,
Chaste tree and Blue Beards.

My neighbor told me he heard not to fertilize the damaged plants, and
just water if needed. Is this correct?

Also, I have some Loropetalum shrubs that really seemed to have taken
a beating by the late freeze. I think they might die, does anyone
know if the no fertilizer rule applies here also?

Thanks.