Old 23-04-2007, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default ID of purple stranger

On 22 Apr, 22:46, Anne Jackson wrote:
A .pdf file? I thought it was never going to open!

Good things comes to those who waits ... ;o)

Very impressive, though...what have you planted up there?
Won't it dry out terribly in the heat of the summer?

Green roof retain around 80% of rain fall - hence the fantastic range
of plants we can grow up there. Although it's due south, the sun gets
on it at around 11am and goes at around 2pm, so it's sheltered. The
wind is minimised by the triangle structure, a remnent to the old
garage there and with a large privet, a red cedar and lots of ivy
around it, the roof won't dry out so much. I need a couple of years to
really understand how it will settle really. Also mine is 'a deep
one', 15cm deep, compared to the usual sedum blankets or just grass.
We went for wild flowers too, knautia, camomile, a variety of herbs,
scabious, marjoran, thyme ... woad, marguerites, ragged robins ... and
there's lots of room left. I fancy putting some tomatoes too though
there's not a lot of sun there. It's another place to experiment - I
don't have much room as you can see!!

For those living around Yorkshire there's funding available to built
green roofs - closing date 31st May.

http://www.thegreenroofcentre.co.uk/design10.4.html

--
'She'