Old 23-04-2007, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
madgardener madgardener is offline

Default sometimes you just have to vent your spleen......

William Rose wrote:
In article ,
Jangchub wrote:
Be glad to be who you are, those people are missing the entirety of
life's offerings.

said with love and sadness,
Veet

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swingin' hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot . . ."

(Big Yellow Taxi, Joni Mitchell)

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

here's the incredible difference, though, Bill. Up here on the ridge
where I live, Miz Mary's house still sits atop of the dead end, my
driveway still hooks around on the northern side and ends in a holler.
Trees at the bottom with what amounts to a REAL holler (like shady
terraces). The lower part that lays behind Miz Mary's old farmhouse
that her sister actually owns now is predominantly pasture, with a
couple of interesting sink area's. This whole hill once millions of
years ago was probably covered in water or had intense running water
around because of the way the boulders that stick out look. It's still
nice. Not much scraping yet, just cutting down the "weed" trees that
happen to have incredible character. She also has an old "L-M, (Elm)
that has that neat pinched bark when it's young and is almost flat on
all four sides. I'm sure they won't cut THAT down. There's another on
in the pasture (or is there? now I gotta go look for that sucker
tomorrow to see if anyone has bush hogged it from near the electric
fence that keeps the cows inside). No paving so far. Today there were
turkey vultures circling lazily overhead, probably in search for some of
those imbred cats of my neighbor across the shared driveway..g there
is quite a nature balance going on up here. Coyote, foxes, vultures,
hawks, felines (too many, I'm seeing bird carcasses, but this is nature
at it's basic. his cats are starving and inbred. So Mom's Nature
provides them with less than normal instincts to survive. I hate to see
the birds (my cats are fed and only slightly cruel, and I thwart them at
every chance as I watch from the quiet of my bedroom window, living room
window or kitchen deck door.....) but this goes on in the wild which is
damn near what this is anyway. There are possoms, raccoons, all manner
of wild life. (even owls!!)And the deer that are around, and wild turkey
are hunkering down. Especially the wild turkey at the moment. I think
it's bow season. I'm not quite sure, but I overheard talk about turkey
shooting today twice, so it must be season for some. I coulda sworn you
didn't shoot turkey when they're nesting. But there are so many, maybe
I'm mistaken.

After having a brain fart, I realized that no matter that they cut the
suckering shrubby trees to the ground. The roots are healthy, and
unless Benton sprayed Post on the stubbs, I can watch for the shoots
coming back up and sever me one or two with my sharp spade for my own to
plug in beside the gate. If I plant it just past my gate, near the
pasture, it will have chance to root if I can get a calloused shoot
later this springtime. The park bench was taken by the middle sister's
granddaughter, and I decided today that unless the Adirondack chairs
disappear as well, I'll drag one over underneath the trees and sit. And
if they take THEM, I will take my OWN lawn chair and sit and gaze. Miz
Mary would never deny me that solace and peace and view. Besides,
there's also grass underneath those trees near the electric fence where
the cows sometimes graze, and it will be soon cow picking time for me.
The pear tree might bloom, and I'm a mind to take cuttings of her old
fashioned snow ball viburnum when it gets new growth going.

I planted up two containers today and felt really good to get my hands
into the soil. Mostly dry and sun loving perennials. Ruby heart
sempervivum and Red Ruby semp, Katrina semp, three Arnaria that I put
two on either corner of the large Earth box, then two silvery leafed
Prince Edwards yarrow that are starting to bloom. I'll cut them back to
encourage them to double, and the semps fanning out. After planting the
boxes, I felt a bit better, and they will bulk up nicely for me given
time. The Arnaria are already opening their flowers (they were bud
tight). Simple things make me happy.

maddie