Old 23-04-2007, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John McMillan John McMillan is offline

Default Dead Bamboo

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:35:09 +0100, John McMillan
wrote:

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

On 15 Apr 2007 14:44:15 -0700, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

I had the same problem about 5 years ago, nothing regrew, but I have
had a couple of seedling clumps come back, though the sparrows had a
field day , and I never thought to collect seed.
I left the stems in place and grew morning glory up them, looked good.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Thanks for that Dave. Interesting! Sadly I've already cut mine down!

Pam in Bristol

Are you sure it was a Phyllostachys? Much more likely
to have been Fargesia Nitida - which is flowering worldwide
at present. Google ("fargesia nitida" flowering) etc.
Likely it won't resuscitate. Do you have seedlings, or seed.

http://www.americanbamboo.org/Genera...ooFlowers.html
http://www.inbar.int/flowering/main.htm

Thanks for that, John. Sadly I have cut it down, and realised too late
I should have saved a cane or two for seed.
I bought it at Wisley, nearly 20 years ago. It was labelled
"phyllostachys nigra" and I always complained it was not nigra.
However, the canes I have saved (minus seed heads!) do now appear
black. They certainly weren't black when in healthy growth!
I have always understood it to be phyllostachys. Will read up on it.
Thanks

Pam in Bristol

Bamboos are notoriously difficult to identify, even if you're
an expert. Fargesia nitida can have blackish stems. Often
they have greyish bloom - which Phyllostachys Nigra doesn't have.
The culm sheaths are longer and stay on the plant longer.
Of course, having had the plant die, then cut down does make
identification even more difficult and, of course, pointless.