Old 23-04-2007, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hazchem hazchem is offline

Default vine growers in SE London

On 21 Apr, 17:47, "R" wrote:
"hazchem" wrote in message

ups.com...

I read in a book that in SE London on one allotment site there are
several people who grow lots of vines to make wine. Can anyone tell me
where this is?

What?
So you can nick their grapes

;-^

Grapes for wine are not usually good to eat. I have several vines on
my allotment and I am increasing the number. I would be interested to
know how other people solve the problems of vine growing. Vines don't
like waterlogged soils in winter (not many plants do) and I solve this
problem by growing my vines on ridges. I would like to know how other
people solve the problem, or if they see it as a problem. Books don't
seem to have much to say on the subject.

When I go to Brighton on the train from East Croydon I look out for 2
allotment sites near the tracks. The second of the 2 has a plot
seeming to be completely covered in vines.

I have had some criticism from the organisers of my allotment site
about my plot, and I am concerned that they may not feel that my plot
is up to their standards. If they do criticise again, I would like to
be able to tell them that many people have mostly vines on their plot
and have done so for years with no problems.

Hazchem