Old 23-04-2007, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Dead Bamboo

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:26:35 +0100, John McMillan
wrote:

Bamboos are notoriously difficult to identify, even if you're
an expert. Fargesia nitida can have blackish stems. Often
they have greyish bloom - which Phyllostachys Nigra doesn't have.
The culm sheaths are longer and stay on the plant longer.
Of course, having had the plant die, then cut down does make
identification even more difficult and, of course, pointless.

Interesting!
It makes little difference now, but my bamboo was bought at WISLEY
labelled phyllostachys nigra. It never had black stems, but now I've
cut it down and kept some canes for use, they are blackish with a
definite bloom on them. The sheaths did stay on rather long.
Oh well, mine's gone anyway!

Pam in Bristol