Old 23-04-2007, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default vine growers in SE London

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 hazchem wrote:

I read in a book that in SE London on one allotment site there are
several people who grow lots of vines to make wine. Can anyone tell me
where this is?

Grapes for wine are not usually good to eat.

Depends on what you mean by good to eat. As regards sweetness they
should be perfectly palatable but you won't usually find a wine grape
that doesn't have seeds which is what some people find unpleasant.

I have several vines on
my allotment and I am increasing the number. I would be interested to
know how other people solve the problems of vine growing. Vines don't
like waterlogged soils in winter (not many plants do) and I solve this
problem by growing my vines on ridges.

It's not likely that your ridges will have any great effect on a vine
as, once established, the roots go deep and wide. You try pulling an
established vine (i.e. more than four years old or so) out of the
ground. you won't manage it!

I have had some criticism from the organisers of my allotment site
about my plot, and I am concerned that they may not feel that my plot
is up to their standards.

All they should concern themselves with is that you keep it tidy and
weed-free. What you grow on it is your business.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK