Old 23-04-2007, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default possible Phytophthora ramorum in Viburnum tinus

On 23/4/07 17:46, in article
, "Treelady"
wrote:

snip

Phytopthora, so I have read, was introduced into this country via
Rhodendron and Viburnum on
imported nursery stock. The presence of Phytopthora has increased over
recent years,
the drought conditions weakens trees already susceptible to the
pathogen, giving it a stronger foothold.

snip

Do you have any opinion on when it came into the country? I ask because an
old Cornish nurseryman who used to run a nursery of high repute, told my
husband that he reckons Phytophthora has been around for a very long time
but unrecognised and unacknowledged or even, ignored. Your comment about
drought affecting its increase might, perhaps, tie in with warmer overall
temperatures causing the problem to become more prominent in terms of
awareness, too?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk