Old 23-04-2007, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default What a contrast!

On 23/4/07 17:51, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote after
Janet Tweedy wrote:

It's misty here today and I'll give it four for trying to rain,
unfortunately barely wetting the soil.

Here in South Wales its also misty, but has been raining steadily
since about 10pm only light rain but we have puddles formed on the
track.
If you listen carefully you can hear the weeds growing.
I tried some rotavating yesterday, and it was like trying to break up
concrete.

The bits of our allotment where I haven't dug it since the autumn are also
like concrete, the rotovator won't touch it until I break it up and my fork
is creaking well, just like my back. :-)
Very light rain here for a good part of the middle of the day, my back got
quite damp as I was out starting a total remake of our back garden. Broke my
heart to prune the two smaller but still large Camellias down to near ground
level but they just had to either go or be made small again, I'm sure they
will resprout but if they don't it's not the end of the world.

My ex-fil was a bit of a Camellia expert and he had one huge specimen one on
a lawn. From time to time, it was cut back to literally one leafy twig.
The first time I saw it my heart nearly stopped but it never failed to grow
again.

Raised the
crown of the biggest to a clear 6ft so it's now a true camellia tree and I
can plant beneath it.

What Keith Wiley calls "raising the skirts". ;-)
Hope it's dry tomorrow, we have arranged a group visit, with a guided tour,
to Wakehurst Place.

Have a lovely day.
--
Sacha