Old 24-04-2007, 06:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Where should I plant Mugwort?

On Apr 23, 3:10 pm, EvilGoddessFragileWarrior
wrote:
I have a whole tray of Mugwort to plant -- where should I put it? I know
it grows tall and that's not a problem, but I sometimes let my horses near
my gardens -- is it a problem that they might eat it?

Part shade? All sun? East, West, South or North? Any recommendations?
There's nowhere I can plant it that I don't really care if it takes over
but what will be the best place for it?

My soil is mostly Indiana clay. Zone 5.

Mugwort aka Artemisia vulgaris prefers Full Sun. It's not fussy about
soil, prefers poor to average, but does need good drainage. So find
the least 'wet' clay area. Maybe provide a raised area for better
drainage. Moderate water to fairly dry.
The only caution I find is "prolonged use of large doses may damage
nervous system" I can't see horses liking it, as it is very bitter,
but
sometimes they do weird things..........
And, yes, the perennial ones do spread rapidly.
Emilie