Old 24-04-2007, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
EvilGoddessFragileWarrior EvilGoddessFragileWarrior is offline

Default Hypertufu - making look smoother

Mike C wrote in
oups.com:

On Apr 23, 3:22 pm, EvilGoddessFragileWarrior
wrote:
Mike C wrote in
news:1177349381.584137.296550 @y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

I am trying to make some contemporary looking planters. Since
concrete would be too heavy, I have turned to Hypertufa. My
question is what can I do to make the planters look more like
smooth concrete than aged stone? I would imagine using the
smallest perlite or vermiculite possible would help. Any other
tips?

Why is that the look you are going for? I sort of like the
wire-brushed look of hypertufu but that's a serious question as to
why you want a smooth look. How about starting moss on the outside
of the pots? Pick up some moss, put in in a blender with buttermilk
(proportions don't seem to matter) and pour it over the outside of
the pot to grow new moss to cover the rough exterior.

As I stated in the initial post, I have a contemporary house and
garden. Anything age will look out of place.

Well, you think it will look out of place, you mean. It sounds like a
perfect complimentary pairing, to me.