Old 24-04-2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
raycruzer raycruzer is offline

Default Nothing but weeds

On Apr 24, 5:54 am, Jangchub wrote:
On 23 Apr 2007 22:29:00 -0700, raycruzer wrote:

Sometimes I wonder why people buy large lots and don't expect to work
in their gardens? There are plenty of condos and apartments for those
who don't wish to spend a couple of hours a week tending to their
gardens.

Some people actually enjoy weeding and doing other garden chores! Do
you believe it?

If you think you need a better long handled tool for weeding you'll
find plenty on the web with your favorite search engine that can pull
and twist out weeds without tweeking your back.

----
At Peace with Weeds...

The trick, while hard work, is to pull weeds out before they go to
seed. The use of corn gluten meal at the proper times will cut down
on seedlings making it much past germination.

I have tons of weeds, especially hackberry, and I now have this really
cool tool with a very thin, sharp rectangular metal piece which cuts
the weeds off at the ground level. Some weeds with taproots, like
dandelion are going to come back from any root left, but use of this
cultivation tool greatly cuts down on the need to bend and hand weed.

To garden is a verb. Many people only take it far enough to get the
plant in the ground and water it. Actually preparing soil, digging,
breaking up clods, adding compost, etc. are not part of most people's
gardening experience. As I get older and my body slows and I can't do
anywhere near what I once could do, it frustrates me that able bodied
people want the short way out.

I do deeply want to get out there every day and garden and I can't.
When I say I garden laying down, it is not an exaggeration. Many days
I've weeded laying down, praying one of the many dozens of snakes in
our yard won't scare me to death! They aren't poisonous or dangerous,
just fast.

So go, garden, bend and weed, buy a good weed cultivation tool with a
flat blade fo cut the stems at the soil level and enjoy your ability.
It doesn't last forever.

I have also used long-handled weeders to clear a large hillside of
weeds and to keep the weeds from adjacent wild lots at bay for many
years.

To find a helpful guide for selecting a weed hand tool or tools that
meet your requirements, you can Google or Yahoo! 'classify weeders'.
Different weeds and situations can be matched with different types of
weed tools, including those that use power and those that can be used
on lawns or to scrape out weeds in cracks of sidewalks.

Enjoy your weeding work. After all, a little work won't kill ya!

-------
At peace with weeds...