Old 24-04-2007, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John McMillan John McMillan is offline

Default ID of purple stranger

In article .com,
La Puce wrote:

On 23 Apr, 14:42, John McMillan
wrote:
I've got loads of Honesty this year, both the purple form
and the white form. And just a few of the variegated leafed
variety. I was very skeptical that this would be variegated from
seed - but it is. Mine came from Bolton Percy churchyard
- but I think Chiltern sells it.

White?! I want !!! Can you save me some seeds?

In theory. Of course, by the time its set seed you can't see
what colour the flowers were. And of course the bees cross
pollinate it so some will revert to purple, and some of the
variegated will revert to white. And then its a biennial
so you don't get to find out until this time in 2009.

Chiltern have Lunaria Annua which I suppose is the purple
form, Lunaria Annua var Alba which is the white form and
Lunaria Annua var Variegata which is the variegated white form.
They also have Lunaria Rediviva which is claimed to be
a perennial version - anyone have any success with that?

Perhaps I should mark my plants somehow (?) so that I know
which were which when I come to harvest the seed.