Old 25-04-2007, 10:17 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default rockery/rock garden

"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:
when people talk of a rockery or rock garden, what is it they mean? any
garden with rocks emerging above the surface, or is it more specific than
that?

Well, a rock garden can grow rocks; large isolated rocks. That is where we
puy all out rock samples we collect on trips.

A rock garden also meant a gardem mulched with rocks/pebbles. This design
becomes popular every so often, the dies again when people realise that
eventually you have to dig up and wash off those rocks every so often[1]

similarly, if a plant is "good for rockeries", what does that mean? that
it drapes aesthetically over rocky bits, or is it a cultural notation?
(wants more heat & less water, or something like that?)

Yes. I take it to mean that plant either can tolerate or needs the extra
heat from rocks in the garden. Could also mean that it doesn't require
much soil, as in stuff that will grow onrock faces.

What is the plant?

no one particular thing - just wondering what on earth the cultural note
"good for rockeries" actually means as i come across it quite a bit.

[1] A previous owner of our place decided it was easier to just raise the
edges, buy more soil and rocks. So, one place in the garden provided three
layers of those 1"-2" river pebbles.

i have that in a few places too. (like there's not enough rocks just sitting
in the soil!!) it's tedious, but i consider those spots will have better
drainage & just carry on regardless. life is too short for sifting out river
pebbles!
kylie