Old 25-04-2007, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
EvilGoddessFragileWarrior EvilGoddessFragileWarrior is offline

Default Where should I plant Mugwort?

Jangchub wrote in
:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:35:37 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

With all due respect, herbs can be extremely dangerous. I suggest
anyone thinking of using herbs for any reason, ingestion, smelling,
burning, eating, drinking the tea of, etc. needs to vigilantly
research all the implications invloved. Sometimes herbs oils can be
volitile and even effect your health systemically through skin. Just
be careful.

With all due respect, some people are very sensitive. The least little
artificial compound or odd protein can have catastrophic results for
some people but many plants have been used as medicines long before
modern pharmaceutical made their appearance. For sure, be careful,

check
out what you are ingesting and start small, but don't be paranoid. Long
before Merck, and Pfizer, mother nature provided our pharmaceutical
needs. It doesn't have to come in a bottle to be good for you.
- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

How is what you said any different than what I said? I said for
people to check it out before just using herbs, thinking they are
perfectly safe because they grow in the garden. Most of our drugs
today are still made of plant extracts, including those of Merck and
Pfizer (whose stock I dumped a long time ago).

I wasn't inciting anyone to be paranoid, just that if someone says it
on the Internet, doesn't make it so and that includes what I say as
well.

I know someone who has a son and he heard he could trip on datura and
he ate some seeds, overdosed and is no catatonic. Oh, it's only a
herb. Pot is a herb, but it's illegal. Cocaine is a herb, also
illegal. You get my point and if not, that's okay too.

Kids (and dumb adults) getting hurt while trying to find a cheap high is
not new and it will keep happening as long as there are kids (and dumb
adults). I'll bet you anything the kid knew darned well there were
dangers and ignored them. Shit happens.

And as for all the caution warnings about herbs, well, anything can be
dangerous and/or deadly under the wrong circumstances. Water is both the
giver of life and deadly, too, for example. Should there be warnings on
your sink taps that say, "Danger: don't drink gallons and gallons of this
substance every day"? I think repeatedly warning adults about the danger
of over-doing anything is a little silly but I appreciate your good
intentions, nonetheless.