Old 25-04-2007, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Merry Merry is offline

Default herbs being dangerous

I was just wondering what your definition of 'herb' was - it is actually
quite a debate in the herbalist world.
Merry - Chartered Herbalist

Jangchub wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:17:24 GMT, Merry wrote:

With all due respect, herbs can be extremely dangerous. I suggest
anyone thinking of using herbs for any reason, ingestion, smelling,
burning, eating, drinking the tea of, etc. needs to vigilantly
research all the implications invloved. Sometimes herbs oils can be
volitile and even effect your health systemically through skin. Just
be careful.

So- what do you classify as 'herb' ?

A herb is any plant which has a useful purpose outside of being
ornamental. A plant which either produces essential oils, has
medicinal properties, a plant to be used to make teas, infusions,
poltice or to cure or help symptoms of ill health.

A zinnia, for example, is not a herb. It is an ornamental annual.
That I know of, it has no other useful purpose other than to
butterflies and bees.

One of the best reference books is "A Modern Herbal." It used to be
in two volumes and is now in one volume full of fascinating
information.