Old 25-04-2007, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Wild Garlic

"Muddymike" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"John Nolan" wrote in message
.uk...
Hello All,

We have quite a lot of wild garlic near us.

Ramsons (Wild Garlic). The bubs, leaves and flowers all taste of Garlic
but it is the leaves that are predominantly used as a garnish in
salads/sandwiches
The bulbs are a bit insipid once cooked. Definitely best when the leaves
are very young and tender (now).

Be aware that it is illegal to dig up wild flowers, so using the bulbs
could be very expensive if caught.

Whoops, I dug up loads of the stuff when I cleared one corner of the
garden. We seem to have two sorts that grow like weeds here, I do enjoy
the smell when I mow them.

The three corner stem ones are not native (triangular stems; bright white
flowers) and pretty invasive. I am sure they are fair game.
The native ones have wide leaves and only grow in shade and are much more
delicate looking. It is an interesting point. Are you alowed to "weed"
weeds in your own garden if the plant is technically protected elsewhere?

Mike