Old 25-04-2007, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
** Frank ** **    Frank    ** is offline

Default Nothing but weeds

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "** Frank **" contains these words:

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

"** Frank **" wrote in message
. ..

I'm installing a greenhouse to keep the blown in weed seeds out. The
remaining area I will do a raised bed to have better control of the
weeds
and around it either concrete or stone pavers. Wife and I are
getting old
so I'm doing this for her while I still can. Weeds be gone, hopefully
most of it anyway.

What green house are you buying? We have a small 6X8' HFGH and just
ordered a larger 8.5 X 16.5 Rion. What a pleasure owning a greenhouse
is.

Its this one:

Much cheaper than your Rion but needed modification so the wind won't
carry
it to the neighbor's backyard. I just broke ground and about to pour a
concrete foundation over this weekend. Had to remove a tree stump
first. I'm
knocking my brains out as to how to anchor this sucker so that I could
relocate it later.

Easy. Drill holes on all 4 sides of the bottom frame rectangle of
the GH. Then, before the concrete foundation, press in some screw bolts,
facing up, matching where the holes will sit. Make sure you get them
absolutely matching the holes, and upright. When the concrete found has
set. place the GH base over the sticking -up bolts and screw down some
big nuts to secure it. When you want to move it, all you have to do is
unscrew the nuts.

Janet.

This wouldn't be a problem if the base were strong and wide enough to accept
a bolt gracefully. As is, the base is of thin gauge metal, 22 or 20 gauge
steel, and very flexible so I'm sure it couldn't withstand wind loading such
as shear and pullout moment without some stiffening or modification. I may
end up burying the base in concrete as it was designed to be buried anyway.