Old 25-04-2007, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Where should I plant Mugwort?

Bill Rose wrote in
:
[..]
I'm planning on experimenting with polk weed this year. I'm sure I'll
have some questions. The young leaves are supposed to be good in
salads but I have yet to quantify what young means. I want to be
cautious with these plants because they have a very bad reputation.

From everything I've seen on it, the young leaves (and I don't know what
that means either -- maybe pre-bloom?) need to be boiled in several
different pots of water to take away the toxins. Makes me nervous.
Perhaps it is one of those things you have to have someone who is
familiar with it do it with you the first few times, like mushroom
hunting.

What are your plans for the mugwort?

Not much. I'm just planting them, not using them. I want to see what
they look like and if I don't like them, they're gone.

I'm wondering how it would mix
with gentiana lutea to make a digestive. Maybe too much the same.

It'll be so bitter I don't know how you'll get it down! Gentiana lutea
is supposed to be one of the most bitter herbs of all, isn't it?