Old 26-04-2007, 12:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Aussie environment destruction

"0tterbot" wrote in message
The importation of exportation of ANY products on or off the land on
which it is raised or grown is mining. If you eat meat or vegetables
that are not grown on your own land, or wear clothes that are not
produced from your own land, you are involved in mining the fertility
belonging to someone else. We all do it and have done since time
immemorial. I don't know anyone who can only survive on the products of
their own land or return all their wastes to their own land.

If you have been reading this ng for some time, you may recall that at
one stage Otterbot made the comment that there is no such thing as
unproductive land. She was (generally) right because any land can be
made productive but it at the cost or mining somewhere else for
nutrients.

that's right, but can i point out: i use inputs that other people don't
WANT! (and are free as well :-)

It wasn't a criticism of what you are doing (we all do it - I mine my
neighbour's place for horse poos, she mines from commercial sources by
buying in horse feed - I take her unwanted stuff she buys - same, same in
effect). It was on observation on your previous observation.

so what you say is 100% right, & i'm getting off the track a bit, but i'm
profiting from other peoples' waste & more peeps would be better off to do
that (imho). it's amazing. frankly i think that as well as creating less
"waste" in future, we will all be learning about how other peoples'
"waste" is a goldmine.

And that also applies to tip 'rubbish'. Our local tip used to be a goldmine
for the local residents. In fact there is one wonderful true story about
one of our rather large Ocker blokes (who I first met when he was dressed up
as a fairy complete with wand and pink wings - but that's another story).
He wanted to build a garage and had submitted plans to Council which were
promptly rejected because he hadn't specified what the garage would be built
from. He was outraged; "How the hell do I know what it'll be built from"
he ranted, "I haven't even been to the tip yet!".

But back to the tip, if you had something that still worked, you'd leave a
sign on it and it woud disappear quick smart, now our stupid sodding local
Council, in it's 'wisdom', has put up signs saying that no 'rubbish' can be
removed. Now we just put in orders with the tip attendant who 'saves' to
fill the orders. So, for example, it took my husband 2 weeks to have his
order of a bike pump filled.

do do do read "back from the brink" by peter andrews. not least because he
explains this. it's a top read, i'm telling you :-)

I will get to it, but at the moment we are deep into other things - sigh.