Old 25-04-2007, 10:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Question for the travelers and bush walkers

Thanks for the response, Eric. I get it. When you are taking the photos,
many are noids for you until you research them. Makes perfect sense. And, it
does make me feel a tad better! I'd hate to think there exist walking, photo
taking encyclopaedias!

Diana

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Diana,

Two things: Books, Experts.

I've spent the last month IDing orchids from books!

I took the A to Z of SE Asian Orchid species with me - that got me several
IDs. I bought Orchids of Borneo Vol 4 in Kinabalu - that got me several
more IDs, and then when I returned home I consulted Volumes 1 through 3 of
Orchids of Borneo, getting yet more IDs. I also bought The Genus
Coelogyne: A Synopsis in Kota Kinabalu, and The Orchids of Sarawak. Both
helped with yet more IDs.

Finally, I've had stellar help from many experts. Jim Cootes, Peter
O'Byrne, Ng Tensung, Elisabeth George, Timothy Choltco, and I am sure I
missed a few people, have all provided IDs from my unidentified photos.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Diana Kulaga wrote:
How, pray tell, can you identify so many relatively obscure species? Do
you take with you some type of reference? I find your knowledge
incredible.

Diana, with thanks to all who post these wonderful plants.