Old 26-04-2007, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
JimR JimR is offline

Default Am I overwatering or underwatering? (Or neither?)

[snip]
My wife and I have actually been having some mini-arguments
about it; she thinks that unless there's a drought, you don't really
water at all because all of these things grew in the wild at some
point. I think she's wrong, and in fact all the plants she tries to
grow herself end up dead. (I of course point this out every time we
talk about this.)

How often should we be watering? (And maybe more important - who is right,
me
or my wife?)

Thanks...

Jeff

1. There are a lot of variables that you haven't addressed, such as the
type of soil you have, how long you're watering (ie, how much water are you
putting out at one time), etc.

From the tone of your post I infer that you don't have mulch around the
rhododendron. This plant should be well mulched -- 3-4 inches or more --
just make sure that the mulch is doesn't actually touch the trunk of the
plant. That will keep the plant cool and moist without being soggy. It
also sounds like you're using too much fertilizer and possibly too much
water -- either of which can cause the leaf problems you've mentioned.
Suggest one application of a good slow release azalea fertilizer before the
plant goes into bloom and a second application after flowering has
completely finished. That should do it for the year. Miracle-gro every two
weeks is way over-kill, especially for an old established plant.

If the plant is mulched and you have sandy loam, water about twice a week if
there is no rain, for 30-40 minutes with a good garden sprinkler or
installed irrigation system -- not just a hose end into the garden bed.
That should put out about 1/2 - 3/4 " of water, which is enough. You can
measure how much water you're dispensing by putting out a tuna fish tin, cat
food tin, or similar vessel and measuring how much water you collect in half
an hour, then adjust from there. If you have heavy clay soil this schedule
is too much water.

Your plants will probably improve with less attention -- just make sure
they're weeded, mulched, and on a modest irrigation schedule, plus limited
fertilization. Your local extension service probably has information on
fertilizer and water schedules for your plants and your area.

Your wife is on the right track for well established trees and shrubs,
especially if you have native plants. For annuals and newly established
perrenials you will need to make sure they don't dry out -- but too much
water will also rot the roots and kill the plants. Reminding your wife that
everything she plants dies is not a winning tactic and will guarantee that
you always work in the garden alone --

As for your second question, regardless of the facts in the case, you need
to repeat about 10 times a day -- my wife is always right, my wife is always
right, my wife . . .

Regards --