Old 26-04-2007, 09:06 AM posted to aus.gardens
Geoff & Heather Geoff & Heather is offline

Default Chosing potatoes to plant

Yeah, kipflers are nice spuds and you are correct - don't bake them !!
I've been digging kipflers up for 3 years now. But I reckon a much better
alternative are Nicola - same very dense texture and yellow flesh.
Excellent boiled - you'd almost think they had butter already on them. They
are nice smooth shape spuds about the size of eggs, but at my place are
yielding over a kilo per plant.

Cheers,
Geoff

"Geoff & Heather" wrote in message
I reckon Kipflers are a waste of space - you get about half a kilo from
each plant if you are lucky, but any tiny little one left will sprout
again, right in the middle of the next crop you grow on that spot.

Geoff

My Kiplflers gave a decent crop when I last grew them and any spuds left
in will do exactly the same sprouting thing so that isn't a big reason not
to grow them. Have you tried growing them more than once? I find that
sometimes some things won't do well in one year but better in another.

Kipflers are superb salad spuds IIRC, but they are simply foul baked.