Old 26-04-2007, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default vine growers in SE London

On 25 Apr, 12:41, hazchem wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the rubble or the sand. I would suggest that at
least one of your vines should be a hybrid vine. These are disease
resistant, although they can be more vigorous. Vines tend to get
fungal diseases, the worst of which is powdery mildew. It is possible
to spray against fungal problems, but spraying is a chore. I have got
Muscat Bleu and Fragola (the Strawberry Grape), these are hybrids.
The other variety I have is Siegerrebe. This has a really good muscat
flavour and is early-ripening. On my allotment I have 2 of these and I
have buried vertically a length of pipe near to each. Grape vines
don't normally need watering, but before they get established they may
benefit from it in a very hot summer. Non-hybrid vines are prone to
fungal diseases if there is not enough water at the roots. Watering
into the pipe means that deeper roots are encouraged not surface
roots. If I do water, it will be a lot of water, but infrequently.

Thank you very much for all these info - it's so nice to have all you
need to know to start in one little text. I've just finished a roof
garden project and the vines are going to be my next one.

Did you say you had to ask for permission to plant vines or trees on
your allotment?

Yes, since January. The guestapo, I mean the committee sorry, has
changed a bit over the years - there's lots of good initiatives and
efforts but sadly the council is getting terribly heavy on us and they
demand all sorts regarding the dos and don't of our plots which to be
fair puts the committee in a difficult situation. We're not allowed
fences, hedges nor gate/door to our plots. All are opened.
Greenhouses, sheds, trees, vines, heavy flags, ponds, any structures
are forbiden unless applied to the council for permission. You get a
plan and you have to mark where you are going to put the above, fill
in a form and this goes to a board, several months later.

What has happened is that we had to get lots of skips over the years
as the tenants move in and out of the plots getting rid of past
tenants rubbish. But I think that's life. The committee felt that it
was a pain to book skips .... therefore they're on to us with anything
which would require an expensive removal opperation if tenants where
to move out. Hence no tall or heavy or complicated to remove
structure.