Old 26-04-2007, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gregoire Kretz Gregoire Kretz is offline

Default Railway Sleepers Suppliers in Yorkshire

Les Hemmings wrote:

Earths_Child wrote:
More precisely, Leeds or Bradford - anyone know of any local
suppliers who would cut down the sleepers and deliver - I have this
idea for a raised planter.

You don't want real railway sleepers. They smell of poo when warmed by the
sun. At least my mates did...

Not only that, but you'd have to check _very_ carefully if they haven't
been treated: if they're new sleepers you should be fine, but recovered
ones are usually soaked in one industrial weedkiller or another
(creosote ring a bell?).
There's been some talk about this and I'm not sure I'd want that in my
garden, not only for the plants but for myself: some of this stuff was
so toxic it is now banned, and with rain I wouldn't want the chemicals
to trickle on anywhere else...

Greg

--

You may ask yourself, how do I work this?

No ficus = no spam