Old 27-04-2007, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] Alex@home.net is offline

Default Asparagus

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 16:40:56 GMT, "Lilah Morgan"
wrote:

|I have a question, we ordered some asparagus seeds from Gurney's,
and it
|says that they have to be kept in damp peat moss for a week

I would guess the advice about peat moss is just to ensure the seeds
don't dry out once germination has begun. But any means you have of
keeping them damp will do fine. Pre-soaking in (say) a saucer of water
for a few days or a week would get them off to a good start but
shouldn't be strictly necessary.

The asparagus seeds I recently bought - from Territorial in Oregon -
suggest planting indoors in 3 inch peat pots "to avoid transplant
shock," (ie plant the whole peat pot when setting out) and they say
outdoor sowing of seed is not advised.

The other, 10-year-old seed I recently started was first put on paper
towel & kept wet/damp until the little roots began to emerge - in 2-3
weeks - then planted in a potting-soil mix in little plastic pots
which I keep moist. They're in a greenhouse but I think they'd be OK
outside (protected from birds & critturs) so long as there's no frost.

Obviously you have to be very gentle when planting the sprouted seeds;
especially if the roots have begun to knit into the paper towel, so a
plain dish of water is safer. I like doing it this way because I get a
kick out of seeing the little roots grow - and I can tell which seeds
do/don't germinate before I plant.

Good luck.
Alexander Miller.