Old 27-04-2007, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
John Bachman John Bachman is offline

Default Roundup or Weed B gone or...?

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:47:53 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

snipped early discussion
I wouldn't till it because that will awaken dormant weed seeds that are
just waiting for the ground to be disturbed. Let the earthworms till it
for you. (or till it next year after you've gardened it for a year and
kept it weeded by hand)

Both the garden plot and the compost are teaming with worms. I like worms.
(Neighbors think I'm wierd.)

If the grand kids were here (Oregon) instead of Virginia, they'd be
learning that
the "funnest" use of worms is fishingn not farming.

My concern re the Roundup is that as I understand it it is not a soil
sterilant, and
thats the way I want it to be, i.e. kill the crap and not sterilize the
soil.

G*dda*n morning glory blows in from across back fence neighbor's yard
and I hate it,
hate it, hate it, do you hear!

(Did I tell you some eighbors think I'm wierd?) BFG

You are dealing with 3 different situations and looking for one
solution. It does not exist.

Roundup will kill all growing vegetation, regardless of weed, grass or
veggie.

Weed-B-Gone will kill all broadleaf growing vegetation but will not
affect grasses.

Neither of those will affect ungerminated weed seeds in the ground
waiting their time. You need a pre-emergent herbicide (Dacthol or
Dactrinol for instance) to do that but it will also kill any veggie
seeds that you plant for the next month or so.

So, you makes your choices and pays your price.

Be sure to read the label of whatever you choose and follow its
instructions to the letter. Do that and there is little danger to
those who consume the produce contrary to the beliefs of those who
consume insect larvae in their veggies and fruits.

John