Old 27-04-2007, 01:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Overgrown shrub

Nil said:

On 24 Apr 2007, Eggs Zachtly wrote in
alt.home.lawn.garden:

A LOT will depend on the variety of Yew. If it's an upright Yew,
it's going to want to be 10'-12' tall and 10'-15' in diameter.
There's no way around that, as that's how big that plant grows.

This sounds like my tree. I keep it shaped, but it doesn't seem to be
trying to get much taller.

From your earlier description, it was my first guess. They're beautiful
shrubs, but they're one of the most common "misplaced", that I've seen
(trees aside). Yews are just pains in the ass (IMO) because of their growth
habit. They're VERY slow to recover due to the fact that all of the foilage
is on the perimeter of the plant. Lose any to insects, storms, disease,
etc, and they're ugly for a long time. =(

It definately sounds like yet another case of an inappropriate
plant for it's location, an all too common mistake. Best thing
would be to remove the overgrown shrub, and find a plant that
won't exceed the dimensions specified by the location.

The plant came with the house when I bought it 18 years ago. It was big
then and I guess I let it take its course through neglect. There's
actually another one on the other side of the walkway, but it's not as
much in the way as much as the other one, but it could still stand to
be replaced.

If it "took it's course", it wasn't due to neglect. That's just how they
grow. =)

I think I'm going to just lop off the too for now. It will probably
look ugly, but that will solve the functional problem (blocking the
light on my front steps) for now, until I find a suitable replacement.

Ugly is in the eye of the beer holder. =) Ya, dood, it's gonna look kinda
weird. My guess is you'll be looking for it's replacement soon.

Much as I like the idea of a guitar topiary, I don't think I could
decide between a Gibson and an Epiphone.

Damn, LOL. I just spewed all over my monitor. Never saw that one coming. =)

I wonder if, when the time comes, if the root system is shallow enough
for me to dig it out myself? Do you have any feel for that?

It sounds fully mature. You're going to have fun. =D Seriously, if it's
that big, it's going to have a pretty massive root system. I've been
removing much smaller (different variety) yews, and they've had pretty good
root systems. You don't need to get it all, but you're probably going to
have a pretty hefty hole, when you're through.

If you know anyone with a small trac-hoe, or can rent one cheaply, it would
be the way to go. Just cut it down, as you would a tree, and then dig what
you can out, with the bucket. Buy some good garden-mix soil from a
reputable, local compost company, to fill the hole. You'll have a much
easier time replanting, and the nutrients in the garden-mix will help the
new planting establish itself easier/faster. Just make sure you plant it a
bit "high" in the hole. 2"-4" would be ideal. Most people make the mistake
of planting the top of the rootball even with the soil. Bad idea. It's a
good way to "drown" a new planting. This is especially true with Yews,
which prefer a much drier surrounding. It holds true for all but bog
plants. I even plant my annuals a bit high, just to be safe.

HTH
--

Eggs

Two can live as cheaply as one, for half as long.