Old 26-04-2007, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] judith.lea99@googlemail.com is offline

Default Weedy Area

On Apr 26, 4:51 pm, "louisxiv" wrote:
Hi

I have a fairly shaded area of my garden which is very solid and pretty much
undiggable due to the presence of the roots of two Sycamore and two Elder
trees. It does however get really weedy. I'd like to either a) grow
something which will give nice ground cover (leaving my interminable weeding
time for other, more visible areas of the garden, or b) put some kind of
weedkiller down which will leave it clear of weeds but will not harm the
well-established trees. Can anyone advise?

Louise if it is a small area, don't use weedkiller, just cover the
entire area with old carpet or anything that will keep out the light
and all your weeds will die.

There's also another area of garden nearby with much nicer soil and more
sun. I'd really like to plant something there that will cover the area which
I can intersperse with shrubs. It's south-west facing and quite exposed to
wind and cold in the winter. Any ideas? I'm fond of blues, greys and whites

Lots of people here who will be able to advise you on that better than
I. However, there is a very pretty lilac, very sweet smelling which I
have in my garden, it grows as a shrub but I am hopeless with names
but I am sure gthere is someone here who can tell you the name. Itg
is between a blue and a lilac. It won't cover the area but you can
underplant with a geranium which I have, it's a lovely blue and it
really creeps and is a terrific groundcover, again, someone here will
give you gthe name as I cannot remember it. I hope that helps a
little

Judith