Old 27-04-2007, 01:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
G Pearce G Pearce is offline

Default Removing objects from bottom of pond

After a storm we lost a potted plant and a couple of bricks into the
deepest part of the pond. I can't think how to get them out. The net does
not work and I cant seem to hook the plant basket with my wire hooky
think. I'm not brave enough to slip on the speedos and go prodding round
in the sludge.
Any ideas to tips?

Hi David - just a couple of thoughts - I have always put #9 wire handles on
my larger pots so I could pull them over to the shallow edge with a hoe so I
could grab them for removal by hand to fertilize or divide them - the
largest ones have 2 handles crisscrossed for strength and I have now come up
with a "leverage" arm on a swivel, with a hook on the basket end to lift
them out as they were getting heavier every year. Now I can grab them
anywhere close to the side with the hook and lift and swing them onto my
deck alone. I used an 11' chain link fence top rail and a slightly larger 3'
upright pole and a swivel my son made for me at a tool shop he works at. You
will still have to get your pots out of your pond to put handles on them
:~(
Gale :~)
PS - to remove rocks and stones that fall in, I use my trusty hoeto pick
them up (takes a little practice)