Old 27-04-2007, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] NoOption5L@aol.com is offline

Default Dogwood deathtrap

On Apr 26, 5:20 pm, FragileWarrior
wrote:

Here are a few things that will increase the survival rate about 10
fold of any newly planted tree.

After digging the hole and properly planting the tree:

1) Remove all grass/vegetation within a 3-4 foot circle of the
trunk.
2) Then put down about a 3-inch layer of mulch in the circle, but
being sure to leave about 4" gap around the trunk to keep the trunk
from rotting.
3) Buy/use a small soaker hose to supplement when there are shortages
of rain.

Patrick

I bought a new townhouse in May 2005. A freshly planted dogwood
flowered and died that summer. The builder replaced it with a new
dogwood tree the following late spring.

It died within 2 months.

Mid-November of 2006, they planted ANOTHER dogwood. As of this
writing, it has not even begun to sprout leaves, much less flower
buds. I scraped a tiny piece of branch, and it is moist and green, so
I assume it is alive. I have no idea why it has yet to begin to do
its stuff.

All of the other plants in the immediate area are doing just fine.
Can anyone think of what the tree thinks it is still winter?

Thanks in advance,

-Mike

What zone are you in? What is around the Dogwood? How much are you
watering it? Did it come in a ball or a pot?