Old 27-04-2007, 09:01 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldoni View Post
Does anyone know of any plants, shrubs etc. that are mentioned in the bible or the gospel that are available in the UK for purchase ?
I doubt you'll be able to get a Tree of Knowledge or Tree of Life anywhere these days.

The Ark of the Covenant was made of the delightfully named shittim wood, which apparently is some type of acacia, but not one that is hardy in Britain. But perhaps you could instead plant hyssop, as in "purge me with hyssop and I shall be clean", one might say it could do the same job.

The Vine of Sodom is another one you'll have to pass on, but apparently its fruit taste terrible so you aren't missing anything. Frankincense and myrrh aren't hardy either.

As someone else says, mistranslations and inconsistent translations abound. For example the RV in Psalm 29 has cedar, but the NIV has terebinth - you'll only be able to grow the former.